RunRyder RC
WATCH
 1 page 156 views Post Reply
HomeScale✈️AircraftScale HeliScale Helicopter Main Discussion › 600 OH-58A Kiowa Project
09-21-2021 01:08 PM  35 days ago
Topic Vote0Post 1
EnstromPilot

rrNovice

Arlington, TX - USA

MyPosts All Forum Topic
600 OH-58A Kiowa Project
Several years ago, I picked up a blade 550X and bought a Funkey 600 size Jetranger fuselage for it, as well as stretching it to a 600. However, I didn’t want to build your run of the mill Jetranger. Instead, I will be converting it to a Vietnam War OH-58A. Although most of these scouts were unarmed, a select few were equipped with a side mounted M134 minigun.

Here is the overall to-do mod list for the moment:
Scale cockpit with cockpit doors removed
New tail fairing
Move Tail rotor to left side
Scale blade rotation
New extended mainshaft
Surface detailing and add minigun
Paint

Plenty of work to do here, so the build will probably be pretty slow, especially when I inevitably become distracted by another project.. Some work has been done in the past few years, which I'll cover in the next few posts.

SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-21-2021 01:14 PM  35 days ago
EnstromPilot

rrNovice

Arlington, TX - USA

MyPosts All Forum Topic
Started off the modification to the airframe as well as finishing up a few things with the mechanics. One of the great things about working with a blade 550x, is that the shaft doesn’t have a step machined into it like the Trex version. So, making your own mainshaft is simply drilling 2 holes in some 10mm rod.

On the airframe side of things, I got the doors and intakes cut out, and the old fairing chopped off. The lack of doors really takes a lot of structure of the hatch, so it will definitely need some sort of reinforcement.

SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-21-2021 01:17 PM  35 days ago
EnstromPilot

rrNovice

Arlington, TX - USA

MyPosts All Forum Topic
One of the main changes I wanted to make to the airframe was to remove the tail rotor driveshaft cover to replicate most OH-58s in Vietnam. The majority of aircraft flew with them removed for both the weight reduction and ease of maintenance.

First, I cut the driveshaft covers from the tailboom, leaving a large open gap in the top of the boom. Using some 1/32 balsa, I filled in the gap to create a solid base for fiberglassing. I then applied 2 ply of fiberglass cloth, and did a wet layup over the balsa wood.

Still need to do the tailcone fairing and bearing blocks for the drive shaft, which will conceal my tail rotor push rod.

SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-21-2021 01:20 PM  35 days ago
EnstromPilot

rrNovice

Arlington, TX - USA

MyPosts All Forum Topic
And now we catch up with current progress.. I ended up taking a break from this project for about 2 years.

Finally pulled this bird down from the project shelf again after starting and finishing many other project since then, and after having moved from my small apartment to a house.

First order of business was to sand out and eliminate all the original paint and surface detail. This took a while as much of the original surface detail is actually thin tape underneath the clear coat. I filled in these lines everywhere except for the rear door seam lines.

I also removed both the engine bay doors and fabricated new ones to match the original OH-58A cowlings. The doors themselves were made from styrene with 3D printed vent detail behind them. I also 3D printed a new pilot air vent for the nose. The model was then coated in primer, and rivet detail applied to the rear section.

One of my major gripes with the Funkey Jetranger fuselage was always the placement of the hatch seams. I could never stand how it sliced through the middle of the rear door and fuselage along no existing lines. Most other manufacturers try to hide a hatch by making it follow a seam line. So, I decided to redo it, and move the hatch seam above the rear door. Still working on the mating surfaces between them, but it’s already an improvement In my eyes.

Next is more work on the hatch seam, and adding the tail rotor drive shaft to the boom.

SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-21-2021 01:50 PM  35 days ago
MattJen

rrElite Veteran

UK / GRAVESEND KENT

MyPosts All Forum Topic
nice projectAll The Best
SHARE  PM  EMAIL  HOMEPAGE  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-21-2021 01:59 PM  35 days ago
v22chap

rrKey Veteran

Granger, Indiana

MyPosts All Forum Topic
Great project ,, keep focused Larry C ----------Bergen R/C helicopters
SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
09-22-2021 05:39 AM  34 days ago
rcheli808

rrApprentice

Mililani,Hi-USA

MyPosts All Forum Topic
Nice project…that picture you showed with the OH-58A KIOWA and AH-1 Cobra in it I believe was from my first guard unit…“Troop E 19th AIR CAV” in the Pohakuloa training area up on the Big Island of Hawaii. “Scouts Out!”
SHARE  PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
WATCH
 1 page 156 views Post Reply
HomeScale✈️AircraftScale HeliScale Helicopter Main Discussion › 600 OH-58A Kiowa Project
Print TOPIC

 3  Topic Subscribe

Tuesday, October 26 - 6:30 pm - Copyright © 2000-2021 RunRyder   EMAILEnable Cookies

Login Here
 New Subscriptions 
 Buddies Online