Well I just finished the build on my new Specter 700. Overall, I thought the build went really well. All my parts fit perfectly, particularly the aluminum ones. I think it's the best fit of any brand that I have built. They specify angular contact bearings for their radials, which I have only seen Bob Odowd at RC-Tek use on his designs, and I have been running his tails now for 6 years with no bearing issues at all. The interference fit for metal parts was perfect.
The head and tails are assembled, but no grease or loctite is applied at the factory, Usually, once I take the units apart, they always seem to have some roughness after you add grease, but these were just as smooth after greasing the thrust bearings as they were before I disassembled them.
CF parts mated perfectly with their corresponding aluminum counterparts. There are a lot of sub assemblies with this kit, so one has to pay attention to which side to build the sub assemblies so they fit with the remainder of the frame.
One common complaint I've seen from other builds is lack of an effective manual, and I concur with most of what has already been said. It is not included with the kit, and the download is really hard to read with the diagrams being printed in red. I tried to print it out in B/W and it came out much better, though still not great. One good thing is they are really consistent on screw lengths. The basic build is M3 x 6. They are intended to go thru one CF thickness into an aluminum receptacle. If they are M3 x 8, they go through a double layer of something (frame stiffeners, etc). Now that I mentioned screw lengths, there is a problem with the tail blade retention screws. They are too short to engage the nylon in the locknut, and if they come loose, you could potentially lose a tail blade. I used a pair of longer ones from another Mfg, but had to add a 3mm washer on either outside side of the grip so that the nut would not bottom out on the bolt's shoulder before it tightened the grip to properly hold the tail blades.
The motor and pinion are really unique (to me, at least). The mount for the motor has a bearing on the bottom that captures the upper end of the pinion, which also has the lower end captured in the traditional counter bearing with the mounts strengthened by a CF cross brace that holds the assembly together as one piece as it is inserted into the frame. Word on the street is that a top rated pilot flew a complete flight with no bolts holding his motor on the mount, and the pinion was so strong and smooth, he did not notice it.
This heli has massive components. The main shaft is 15mm and the spindle is 10mm. The tail is a damped tail with a really strong one piece tail block. It is belt driven, and the only tricky part about the build is getting all the spacers, pulleys and bearings inserted correctly into the block to retain the belt. I found that if you laid the heli over on its left side, it was easier to get all the small washers and spacers aligned. Note that the bearing stackup is spacer, m3 x 5 washer, bearing, m3 x 5 washer, another bearing, another 3 x 5 washer and then the final spacer. By the time you get to that last spacer, there isn't a lot of play (or room) to get the thing onto the screw and then screwed into the opposite side of the block. A two piece block would have made this step eadier, but you just have to take your time.
Once I got the frame completed and started on the electronics, the build went pretty quickly. The mount for the ESC is the best I have seen. Plenty of room for a 200a ESC and fan. My first runup totally surprised me on how smooth the powertrain ran. No vibration at all on my Vbar analyzer.
One thing that immensely surprised me was the control linkages. I set my links for the head to what the recommended values were in the manual, and my setup numbers on my Vbar Control TX and Neo were 93 for 13 degrees of collective and 91 for the required 8 degrees of cyclic. I have never seen any other setup have their numbers in the same 10's group. At first, I thought I had made a mistake they were so close together, but after checking them several times, that's what they ended up. It just tells me that they designers took the time to design the swash offsets for the supplied arms.
At this point I am ready for the maiden. I am looking forward to getting this machine into the air. I will add additional comments after the maiden. If anyone has any questions or comments for this mini review, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Logo 700, Specter 700, Goblin 700, Trex 700DFC, Gaui X7, Logo 690SX, Logo 600SX; Trex 470 Trex 500
Amain Team Rep