Well here is what I learned over the last few days of thinking about this. There are many different way to solve this issue it turns out.
The simplest way would be to use this Duralite connector to go from the battery to 2 22g mail plugs into the vbar control unit.
With this set up you will need to plug and unplug the battery with each flight. I think this give the least amount of wires, plugs and components to the vbar control unit. Note this solution has no regulator built in so you will have to use a high voltage set up.
I got a few PM’s from other members that are using Perfect Regulators with great success.
One is using a Perfect Reg Remote Fail-Safe switch. This basically just provides a switch to be able to turn the electronics off.
And this Duralite connector to go from the Deans out of the switch to 2 22g mail plugs into the vbar control unit.
This seems to be a very clean install with a min of wires. Note this solution has no regulator built in so you will have to use a high voltage set up.
Another member is using this Perfect Reg.
This reg provides a switch like the unit above but it also provides 2 channels of regulated 5v power. This member is using a 6.6v LiFe battery for unregulated servos and using the 5v output for the tail. Seems like another tidy install.
I went down the path of looking at Fromeco Regulators, specifically the Kiwi and the Sahara. The Kiwi is a very nice unit that has a soft switch and will pass both unregulated voltage and regulated 5v. If I were to use the Kiwi here is how I would set it up I think.
Connect the battery to the Kiwi, in my case it is a 6.6v LiFe. Connect 2 or 3 patch cables from the Kiwi to the vbar for power. Now the vbar has unregulated 6.6v. For the tail, run a patch cable from the Rudder channel on the vbar to an open port on the Kiwi, let’s say port 4. Now plug the servo into the regulated side of port 4. This will drop the voltage to 5v for the tail servo. The Kiwi will pass the signal through from the vbar to the servo and reduce the voltage from 6.6v to 5v. If you have a high volt tail servo you can just plug it directly into the vbars unregulated power. This limits me to using a 6.6v battery or running everything at 5v.
I talked to Fromeco yesterday about using a Sahara. It turns out they can add a pin flag switch to the Sahara reg. The Sahara has 2 or 3 male plugs coming out for power to plug into the vbar. This power can be regulated from 5.4v to 6.4v depending on your setup. With this setup I can use a 6.6v LiFe or a Lipo to power the vbar. I’m using a DS650 tail servo rated at 6v so I should be able to run all of the electronics at 6.2v to 6.4v. This seems like it would be another very clean setup and give me the option to run a LiFe or a 2s Lipo. If I want to switch to a bls251 in the future I can turn the voltage down a little and use a step down for the tail servo.
As you can see there are many options ranging from $14 to around $60 or so. Not sure what I’m going to do yet but it is nice to have options.