There was a thread on another heli forum where someone was making his own carbon and glass blades.
That other forum no longer exists.
The hardest part for the do-it-yourselves is getting / making the mold.
Once you have the mold, making the blades is not hard, but it must be done precisely.
This is from memory of reading about the home process.
1. apply mold release to the mold.
2. pour in expanding foam and close the mold.
3. after curing open mold and remove the foam blade.
4. sand off all flash and trim about 1/4-1/2 inch from the trailing edge and flatten the leading edge. This is to allow the two halvs of the blade to bond together properly.
5. route a pocket for the lead weights.
6. clean and apply mold release to the mold.
7. apply a coat of epoxy tho the mold
8. saturate your precut glass or carbon cloth with epoxy
9. lay the cloth into the mold
10. place the foam blade into the mold
11 install the lead weights with plenty of epoxy so that the weighs are bonded to the cloth and not just the foam insert.
12. close the mold and allow to cure.
13. after full cure, open the mold, remove the blade and trim flash.
14. drill hole and install bushing for blade bolt
If you make more than 2 blades you can pick the ones that are closest in weight to balance into a set.
you will have to do the experimenting to determine what weight cloth and layering works best for your application.
Be sure to build in adequate strength in the root.
RAMS Club President