RunRyder RC
 1 page 590 views POST REPLY
HomeOff Topics › Allergic to CA
06-02-2004 06:38 AM  14 years agoPost 1


Tucson AZ

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Anyone shead any light on this? I have been working with CA glues for years and lately I have been having reactions after breathing this stuff. I wonder if something changed in the product or if I simply developed a new allergy. Basically for several hours up to a day I have restricted breathing and alot of mucus buildup. Basically allergic airway disease a form of asthma, I have no history of asthma. Anyone else ever encounter this. It took me awhile to isolate this as the cause but it is it. It only takes one small wiff. I have tried working with fans and very well ventilated areas but to no avail just delays the reaction. Looks like I might have to give up planks all together. Seriously though what are some alternatives to using CA?


Sadly Sponsored by: VISA, MASTERCARD, and Bank of America

06-02-2004 07:22 AM  14 years agoPost 2
Raptor Rulezzz

rrKey Veteran

Rockanje, Zuid-Holland - The Netherlands

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Seriously though what are some alternatives to using CA?
ZAP Odorless.... that`s suppose to be ehm "Odorless" and not so agressive, it`s the one you can use for glueing foam and stuff.

Try it and let us know



Proud Member of Team QuickUK, Team Duralite & Sponsored by V-blades &

06-02-2004 08:35 AM  14 years agoPost 3


North Wales, UK. Not England.

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Luzer; I suffer from the exact same thing, but I always have. I use ZAP-O and have no problems whatsoever.

As an adhesive, ZAP-O is not as good as standard CA... It takes longer to set and seems more brittle, but you can still use kicker. In the UK, it is also damned expensive... $10 per little bottle, but this is a small price to pay as it allows me the luxury of breathing...

06-02-2004 12:02 PM  14 years agoPost 4


Wellsville, NY

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Costs a bunch, but Hot Stuff UFO works well too... and is foam safe.

06-02-2004 03:53 PM  14 years agoPost 5


Dallas Texas

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

If you are reacting to CA, take extra care when you use the product. One of the components of CA is, isocyanate. This is some bad stuff. When it gets in the body, it stays there. With each exposure, it takes less, to create a reaction. I was in the urethane foam business many years ago. The efects are still with me. Same chemical. One sniff and my lungs go crazy.

Look for your self !!


06-02-2004 04:01 PM  14 years agoPost 6
Ted Toth

rrElite Veteran

Myrtle Beach S.C.

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

I have been working with CA glues for years
you may have become Hyper-sensitive to CA
when I was young I was a Finnish applicator - catalyzed paint -
never a problem then, now if I get near any paint vapors almost
instant headache or quezzie felling


You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stopped laughing.

06-02-2004 05:21 PM  14 years agoPost 7


Wichita Falls, TX.

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

HELIBROKE is right on. CA is a sensitizing agent just like epoxy. You may not have been allergic to it, but with repeated exposure, an allergy may develop. Once you have started becoming sensitive to it's fumes, it will only worsen. If it becomes bad enough, you can go into anaphylactic shock, and/or respiratory arrest. That can be a potentially fatal condition.

Once you have noticed you are becoming sensitive to CA or epoxy, you need to use a respirator/breather with filter cartridges and chemical gloves. You can purchase these at Lowes or Home depot. You may also need a "full-face" respirator. You can find those at most any military surplus store.

[b]Murphy's Constant:[/b] Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

 1 page 590 views POST REPLY
HomeOff Topics › Allergic to CA
 Print TOPIC  Make Suggestion 

 3  Topic Subscribe

Friday, August 17 - 6:01 pm - Copyright © 2000-2018 RunRyder   EMAILEnable Cookies

Login Here
 New Subscriptions 
 Buddies Online