According to latest estimates, the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico has resulted in an oil spill of between 70,000 and 110,000 tonnes of crude oil.By comparison
, here are some of the biggest spills recorded worldwide:
- 1979: Gulf of Mexico: Around a million tonnes
spill from the Ixtoc-1 well after an explosion on a rig operated by the Mexican state oil company Pemex.
Repairing the leak takes nine months.
- 1991: GULF WAR: A million tonnes
is the estimated spillage when Iraqi forces set fire to Kuwaiti oil wells during the Gulf War.
- 1994: SIBERIA: An estimated 100,000 to 280,000 tonnes
spill from a ruptured pipeline in Russia’s Komi Republic.
- 1978: FRANCE: 230,000 tonnes
of crude wash up on 400 kilometers (249 miles) of coastline when the Liberian-registered supertanker Amoco Cadiz sinks off the western tip of Brittany.
- 1996: BRITAIN: Some 147,000 tonnes
of crude spill into the sea when the Sea Empress sinks off Wales.
- 1967: BRITAIN: 120,000 tonnes
of oil pollute the southern coast of England, and also French coasts, after the grounding of the Torrey Canyon supertanker.
- 1989: UNITED STATES: The Exxon Valdez goes aground in Prince William Sound, Alaska, spilling 38,000 tonnes
Just a little info for perspective.
A.T. Quad-Rave 450-Trex 550