RunRyder RC
 1  Topic Subscribe
WATCH
 1 page 506 views
HelicopterEngines Plugs Mufflers Fuel › Is the glow plug bad?
11-23-2006 08:34 PM  11 years agoPost 1
rudyy

rrElite Veteran

E. Amherst, NY

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

I hook the glow plug to the lead. Only 90% if the filament is glowing red. The rest 10% which is near the screw end including the tiny part protruded is not glowing red. Is the plug gone bad? Am I supposed to see the complete whole filament glowing red hot?

Thanks,

Rudy

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
11-24-2006 12:13 AM  11 years agoPost 2
LARKS

rrApprentice

Lake Charles, Louisiana

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Check to see if the filament is distorted. If in doubt, replace it.

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
11-24-2006 08:31 AM  11 years agoPost 3
wrobijns

rrApprentice

Swalmen, the Netherlands

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

When you glow it by a powerpanel the glow comes from electricity.
the glow comes from beneath.
When it is in the engine the glow comes from the combustion above.

It is not supposed to glow in total. Just enough to ignite the fuel when starting.

Indeed, Just look at the wire:
If the shape is of or the colour is flattened, Replace it !!

Walter Robijns, 3D rules !!!

PM  EMAIL  Attn:RR  Quote
11-24-2006 09:21 AM  11 years agoPost 4
Alexander01

rrVeteran

Sweden

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

I thought that plugs are supposed to glow all the time, even when running, not only while starting

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
11-26-2006 12:48 AM  11 years agoPost 5
Leif

rrElite Veteran

USA

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

I thought that plugs are supposed to glow all the time, even when running, not only while starting
They do glow, just not from electrical current. There is a catalytic reaction between methanol and platinum that generates enough heat to cause the coil to get red hot during operation of the engine.

Of course, the engine needs to be at operating temperature first. That's why we use electrical current to pre-heat the plug. Once the engine is running and up to temp, the catalytic reaction can keep the plug going.

Leif

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
11-26-2006 08:21 AM  11 years agoPost 6
wrobijns

rrApprentice

Swalmen, the Netherlands

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Yes, but I mean that not all the wire has to glow.
thats what I meant with "It is not supposed to glow in total"
Of course it is glowing in a running engine.

Walter Robijns, 3D rules !!!

PM  EMAIL  Attn:RR  Quote
WATCH
 1 page 506 views
HelicopterEngines Plugs Mufflers Fuel › Is the glow plug bad?
 Print TOPIC  Make Suggestion 

 1  Topic Subscribe

Wednesday, January 17 - 1:09 pm - Copyright © 2000-2017 RunRyder   EMAILEnable Cookies

Login Here
 New Subscriptions 
 Buddies Online