RunRyder RC
 0  Topic Subscribe
WATCH
 1 page 574 views
Helicopter
e-
Electric General Discussion
› Rotor Blades, Carbon vs Woodies
03-12-2006 03:44 PM  11 years agoPost 1
gmcullan

rrKey Veteran

Southbridge, MA

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

I've recently become comfortable enough with the flying of both my Blade CP (w/DH head) and HoneyBee CP 2 that I finally broke down and installed E-flite carbon fiber main rotor blades on both machines.

All I can say is WOW. I'd been flying both machines with stock motors, 9 tooth pinion, and 1320 mah Thunder Power 3-cell LiPo's. Both heli's were using symetrical wooden main rotor blades. My preference for those are the E-flite blades, as they seem better "out of the package" than the E-sky blades.

Making a long story shorter, all flight characteristics appear to be enhanced with the use of the carbon fiber blades. Stability in hover is better. Response to cyclic control input is very precise, thus inspiring an even higher level of piloting confidence.

The downside? Well, you knew there had to be one! The blades are almost completely invisible when spooled up. At least with the white woodies you can see the rotor disk. I might have a solution.

My project for this afternoon will be to take the carbon fiber blades, measure and mask the blades so as 1 inch of the tip is exposed, lightly sand the exposed blade with 1000 grit wet SiC abrasive paper so as to provide "grip" for the paint, and then airbrush a nice, contrasting color on each tip. On the two sets, I'm thinking of making one tip red and the other yellow. This should provide a nice indication of the circumference of the rotor disk as well as provide a nice way to note and maintain blade tracking.

I'll post back later as to how the painting project went as well as any changes in blade balance and tracking.

Gerry Cullan,
Gaui 200, 255; T-Rex 250, 450 SE & SA, Mini-Titan, Blade 450

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
03-12-2006 09:48 PM  11 years agoPost 2
gmcullan

rrKey Veteran

Southbridge, MA

My Posts: All  Forum  Topic

Paint went OK

Well, got the tips painted without messing up balance or tracking. And the cool thing is that I can now see the circumference of the rotor disk. I did have to remove the paint from the first tip and re-do it. Even though I sanded the surface to be painted, I still had some serious fish-eye on the first coat of paint. So I removed the Testors Model Master paint with the appropriate solvent, cleaned the tip, and repainted. The painting sequence was a light mist coat, a 15 minute wait and then a slightly heavier mist coat, and then 15 minutes later with a wet gloss coat. Checked the balance about 30 minutes ago, installed the blades back onto the HoneyBee CP2, and hopped a flight in the kitchen. Smooth, no noticeable changes in flight charateristics, and I can now see the blades for tracking, etc.

Equipment and paint: Testor Aztec metal bodied dual action airbrush, gray general purpose nozzle, Testor Model Master paint thinned 50/50 with Model Master airbrush thinner, compressor regulator set for 24 psi.

Gerry Cullan,
Gaui 200, 255; T-Rex 250, 450 SE & SA, Mini-Titan, Blade 450

PM  EMAIL  GALLERY  Attn:RR  Quote
WATCH
 1 page 574 views
Helicopter
e-
Electric General Discussion
› Rotor Blades, Carbon vs Woodies
 Print TOPIC  Make Suggestion 

 0  Topic Subscribe

Friday, December 15 - 11:46 pm - Copyright © 2000-2017 RunRyder   EMAILEnable Cookies

Login Here
 New Subscriptions 
 Buddies Online